written on Saturday, January 1, 2011
I have been reading a bunch of people's recaps of 2010. I find that a
wonderful idea because it turns out that after a year you end up doing a
lot and don't appreciate it enough. And it turns out, 2010 was an amazing
year. This is my list of Open Source or programming related activities of
- Decided to learn game development. This didn't go too well for a
while though. I was kinda worn out of Python web development
after four years and wanted to do something new.
- Made an April's fool joke web framework with a screencast that was
downloaded over 15.000 times. Some people actually took it serious :)
- Gave a talk about switching to Python 3 at the Linux days in Graz.
- Released Flask, a microframework based on my April's fool joke. I
learned a lot from that, might be intresting for a talk.
- Attended DjangoCon in Berlin and gave my first English talk ever.
It didn't go as well as it could have been but I was nervous
as fuck, especially because I was the first talk after the
- Started looking for a Job over the summer holidays and ended up
working with the guys from Lincoln Loop for a larger Django
- Sphinx made it into GSOC under the PSF umbrella and I am mentoring
a student again.
- Finally diving into 3D engine development. The books I bought a
few months back finally pay off and a painful dive into
- Broke my macbook, needed replacement — expensive month.
- Attended DjangoCon and met friends from Portland again. Good
- Held a talk at Pycon PL about new Python idioms. Had the chance
to talk to finally meet Maciej Fijalkowski in person and a whole
bunch of interesting guys.
- Another talk about Good API Design in Kiev. First time I was to
- Relaunched pocoo.org with a new design. Looked for a bunch of
companies using pocoo Software and was proud seeing where our
stuff ended up beeing.
- Got invited to ORD Camp 2011. Feeling honored, but unfortunately
will not be able to attend :(
- I finally have something that looks rougly like a 3D voxel engine.
Still far from a game, but a start and with that project I learned
a whole lot that year.